Role and Function
The Directorate of Programme Implementation and Evaluation has been assigned to undertake a number of functions and activities as follows:
1. Conduct of evaluation and research studies:
Evaluation is being done both in-house and by outsourcing to reputed organization/agencies within the State and outside. So far the Directorate has brought out 31 (thirty-one) Evaluation Reports.
2. Compilation of various progress reports:
- Flagship Programmes: Up to date quarterly progress reports on Flagship Programmes are collected from the concerned Departments. Information received is forwarded to the Office of the Principal Accountant General (Audit)
- Twenty Point Programme:Quarterly progress reports are collected from concerned Departments.The report is sent to the Ministry of Statistics & Programme Implementation (MoSPI).
3. Monitoring and reporting on Twenty Point Programme
- The State Level Monitoring Committee on Twenty Point Programme (TPP) monitors and reviews the performance of various departments on implementation of Twenty Point Programme to ensure that the given targets are achieved.
- Information from 25 (Twenty Five) implementing Departments concerning Twenty Point Programme (TPP) is compiled quarterly, and thereafter the report of 11 (eleven) Departments, viz. C & RD, PHE, Social Welfare, Urban Affairs, Forest &Env., PMGSY [PWD Rds.(Standard)], Food, Civil Supplies & CA, Meghalaya State Rural Livelihoods Society, Health & FW, Swachh Bharat Mission, Meghalaya Power Distribution Corporation Ltd. is sent to the Ministry of Statistics & Programme Implementation (MoSPI).
- The State Level Monitoring Committee on MPLAD Schemes holds regular review meeting under the Chairmanship of the Chief Secretary. Minutes of the said meeting are sent to all the Deputy Commissioners as well as to the Ministry of Statistics & Programme Implementation, New Delhi and the same are uploaded in PI&ED website.
- All India Review Meeting was held on the 31-08- 2018 and 17-01-2020. Minutes of the meeting was sent to the nodal Deputy Commissioners, Shillong and Tura. After receiving the Action Taken Report the same was compiled and sent to the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MoSPI)
- Sending of MPLADS Report:Information is sought from the BDOs, and thereafter, the report is compiled and furnished to the Government with a copy to the concerned Deputy Commissioners and BDOs and the same is uploaded in the PI&ED website.
5. Close monitoring and review of selected programmes/schemes/projects.
Comprehensive and in-depth review meetings are held under
- Systematic Review System: During 2018-19, the mechanism of the Systematic Review System was initiated to review flagship programmes through district level review and monitoring meetings chaired by the Cabinet Ministers. Programme Implementation & Evaluation Department is the nodal department for undertaking Systematic Review.
- State Government Programme Implementation & Monitoring Committee (SGPIMC)The mandate of State Government Programme Implementation and Monitoring Committee (SGPIMC) is to review and monitor implementation of programmes and schemes in the State and to identify hurdles/bottlenecks faced by the departments, so that the same is raised at the suitable level for remedial action.
- State Level Monitoring Committee on MPLAD Schemeshas been constituted for effective monitoring of the MPLAD Schemes in the State by reviewing the progress of implementation of the Scheme with the District authorities and Members of Parliament at least once a year. Review meetings are held regularly under the chairmanship of the Chief Secretary.
6. Monitoring performance of PSUs
Upto date position of Annual Accounts of PSUs in the state are collected. Information received is furnished to Programme Implementation & Evaluation Department for review.
7. Matters relating to SDRC
The State Development Reforms Commission (SDRC) looks into the overall development of the State, to see whether the central and state schemes are implemented in right spirit as per the guidelines. The Commission seeks to find out the reasons for delay in implementation of the scheme by the departments concerned so that the same can be examined and if necessary to adopt new policies/strategies for better implementation of programmes/schemes.
Various review meetings are held with various Deptts and field inspections are also being undertaken by the Commission from time to time.
8. Intensive field inspections/Visits of schemes/projects
A number of schemes under MPLADS, Twenty Point Programmes and Flagship Programmes are being inspected to oversee the actual ground realities. This is done with a view to ensuring that schemes are effectively implemented and benefited the poorest of the poor whose lot the Govt. is trying its best to improve.
9. Follow up action on schemes/programmes mentioned in the Governor’s address
Action Taken Reports are regularly sought from the concerned departments on schemes/ programmes mentioned in the Governor’s address.