Role and Function
- Review of the working of various departments.
- Implementation of Schemes mentioned in the Governor's Address.
- Monitoring the Implementation of Special Development Programmes.These Programmes includes:
- The Twenty Point Programme
- North Eastern Council Schemes
- Border Areas Development Programmes
- Roads and Buildings Programme
- Water Supply Scheme
- Rural Electrification Schemes.
- Health and Family Welfare Schemes
- Jhum Control Programmes.
- Programmes of Pilot Villages.
- Co-ordination and Monitoring of Public Enterprises under the Department.
The Directorate of Programme Implementation and Evaluation has been assigned to undertake a number of functions and activities as follows:
1. A. Conduct of evaluation and research studies:
- So far the Directorate has brought out 16(sixteen) Evaluation Reports.
- Employment Generation Scheme under A.H.& Vety. Deptt is under process.
- Community & Rural Development schemes under C&RD Department is at the second stage of field works at District & Block level.
B. New schemes under state plan during 2007-2008:
- Outsourcing of Evaluation Studies: To increase the reach and efficacy of the State Monitoring and Evaluation Organisation in future, it has been decided to involve independent, external agencies of repute in the evaluation and monitoring process. Their services would be paid for by the State Evaluation Organisation who would lay down norms for them, provide handholding support and work with them towards achieving the objectives. The State Evaluation Organisation would thereafter monitor and track follow up action as well as liaise with the departments/ line agencies concerned. The names of these independent, external Agencies have been obtained from Planning Commission and quotations inviting Tenders from interested bidders along with the List of Institutions shorlisted by P. E. O. Planning Commission, for outsourcing evaluation studies had been prepared and approved by the State Evaluation Committee, headed by Chief Secretary. An amount of Rs.10.00 lakhs has been earmarked under the Scheme.
- Social Audit/Assessment of Delivery System on Developmental Programmes: Deputy Chairman, Planning Commission had written to the State Government regarding social audit of the delivery system on developmental programmes developed by the Public Affairs Centre (P.A.C.) in Bangalore. In this connection, Government. had decided that the social audit be carried out in 3 Districts, viz. West Garo Hills, East Khasi Hills and Jaintia Hills and has make the Programme Implementation and Evaluation Department as the Nodal Department for the purpose.
2. State Level Programme Implementation and Monitoring Committee (S.L.P.I. and M.C.):
Recently, Government had constituted the State Level Programme Implementation and Monitoring Committee (SLPI&MC) under the Chairmanship of Dr. Mukul Sangma, Deputy Chief Minister, IIC Programme Implementation and Evaluation Department and Shri A.H. Scott Lyngdoh and Dr. F. Lyngdoh as Co-Chairman to monitor the field implementation of Programmes and Schemes being implemented by various Government Departments and furnish necessary feedback to the Government to ensure better outcomes from the implementation of various Schemes. On its very first sitting on 20.7.2007 the Committee has taken the following decisions:
- Directives be issued that all Programmes/Schemes being implemented in all Districts, with break-up of fund allocation, physical targets, achievements and beneficiaries, be publicized at all C & RD Blocks to ensure that the general public get all the information about the Schemes in their respective area.
- All Deputy Commissioners should hold regular meetings with all District Officers to monitor implementation of Schemes/ Projects in the Districts and to collate this information. They will also hold meetings to get Block-wise information and take steps for making such information available at Block level. This can be placed department-wise on CIC Website, information panel of Block office/IPR department's Chronicle etc.
- The Committee will hold review meetings with concerned Department! Districts starting with Mid-day Meal Scheme, Public Distribution System and SNP (Nutrition) from Social Welfare Department and field visits will be undertaken by the Committee.
Hence it is hope that in future the impact of various development schemes and projects on various section of the people will definitely be improving.
3. MPs Local Area Development Schemes (M.P.L.A.D.S.)
- Monitoring of M.P.L.A.D. Schemes and follow up action on their progress
- Follow up action of Review meetings taken by Chief Secretary from time to time as well as those convened by the Union Minister of State i/c of Statistics & Programme Implementation. A State Level Monitoring Committee under the Chairmanship of the Chief Secretary has been constituted and the first meeting of the Committee was held on 13th November 2007
4. State Development Reforms Commission (S.D.R.C.)
In matters relating to the State Development Reform Commission, various review meetings were held with various Deptts and field inspections are also being undertaken by the Commission from time to time.
5. Twenty Point Programme (T.P.P.)
- Monitoring of Twenty Point Programme and follow up action on their progress.
- T.P.P. is being compiled every month and sent to the Ministry of Statistics & Programme Implementation Government of India
6. Follow up action on the schemes/programmes mentioned in the governor address
Compilation of the Action Taken Report for the year 2007 is almost complete.
7. Comptroller and Auditor General Reports
Follow up action on the Comptroller Auditor General Reports on M.P.L.A.Ds and P.S.Us.
8. Nodal function in respect of Public Sector Undertakings
As the nodal Agency in respect of all P.S.Us in the State, the Directorate is engaged in various matters relating to PSUs such as preparation of Booklet, V.R.S., Arrear Accounts, monitoring of performance, profit and loss etc.
- Booklet-Preparation/compilation of a Booklet on the performance of PSUs from 1996-1997 to 2005-06 is under process covering a period of 10 years for each PSU.
- Finalization of Arrear Accounts
- Monitoring the process of finalization of arrear annual accounts of PSUs. Instruction is being issued from time to time directing the concerned PSUs to take all necessary steps to clear their arrear accounts.
- Follow up action on the schemes/programmes mentioned in the Governor address in respect of PSUs is under process.
- Monitoring the annual performance of PSUs
9. Monitoring of Flagship Programme
The Director of Programme Implementation and Evaluation has recently been nominated as the nodal officer at the State level for online monitoring of the Programme